History of Mahanama College

In 1954 this institution was started as a primary with the initiative of Ven. Vehalle Dhammananda Thero at walukaramaya temple. In 1958 the school was registered as a government assisted junior school. The member of students gradually increased to 163 with 4 staff members and on 1st of January 1960. Ven Vehalle Dhammananda Thero was the founder principal of Mahanama College. Primary classes were in a building near Thurstan college. In 1974, during Mr. T. N. Silvas period the junior school at Thurstan college moved to its present location – Mahanama College. In 1975, 130 students at for the N. G. C. E. examination and 107 students passed the exam. The government donated 7 acres of land as the school expanded at its present location.

In 1976 there were several two-storey buildings. Through the dedication and effort of Mr. K. N. P. de Silva, the principal and the support of the parents the school developed continuously. Principal Mr. K.N. P. de Silva worked hard to develop the school and retired on the 5th of February 1986 with the blessings of students, staff and parents.

The succeeding principal Mr. D. G. Sumanasekara, during his tenure the school developed rapidly and became compentitive in sports activities, extracurricular while performing exceptionally well in curricular work also. Mahanama College was ranked among the best schools for its performance in G.C. E. Advance level examination.

The next principal Mr. K. K. Rathnadasa, continued the status of the school further. During this period the computer section was established and childres’ park was created. The annual carnival ‘Foot Loose’ was organized during this period.

The dedication and commitment to the growth of the school the next principal, Mr. G. Liyanage has to be praised. He has been instrumental in building a three storey building with an art gallery. During this time the school laboratories and computer sections were improved and buildings were renovated and laid the foundation for the building of a full theatre and auditorium.